Developing the Field of Future Mental Health Professionals
If you’re a MSW, MFT, or clinical psychology graduate student who’s passionate about working with women experiencing homelessness and formerly homeless women, we invite you to apply to Downtown Women’s Center’s Clinical Internship Program.
The program offers training in various modalities with an emphasis on Trauma-Informed Care. The population you’ll serve are facing challenges related to homelessness, mental health, substance use, and trauma (historical and on-going). Interns will utilize assessment tools to identify areas for growth and healing, and will provide clinical/health case management, psychosocial assessments, individual therapy and psycho-educational groups. Through a Trauma-Informed Care approach, interns will work to help improve clients’ overall well-being and life stability. Interns will have an integral role in service provision and will be assigned clients who are enrolled in one or more of DWC’s departments: Health & Wellness’ Trauma Recovery Center, Permanent Supportive Housing, or Community-Based Housing program.
Our Training Model
Interns who complete Downtown Women’s Center’s clinical training program will leave with a toolkit of evidence-based interventions grounded in:
- CRM (Community Resiliency Model)
- Critical Time Intervention
- Motivational Interviewing
- Seeking Safety
- Trauma-Informed Care
- TF-CBT (Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
- Hours: A calendar year’s commitment of a minimum of 16 to 20 hours per week (inclusive of supervision) is expected (9 or 12 months).
- Transportation: Interns will be required to have personal transportation, valid California driver’s license, and current insurance and registration.
- Compensation: No financial compensation is provided; however, meals are provided and parking is reimbursed ($60/mo.)
- Fill out and submit this application, which includes a statement of interest, resume, and availability schedule as attachments, and email to: Kristine Chavez, LCSW, Clinical Program Manager at KristineC@DowntownWomensCenter.org.