Use your culinary and resource planning skills to deliver three healthy meals each day to over 200 homeless and low-income women!
The ideal On-Call Cook understands how to please a crowd with meals that are well balanced and nutritious yet are also tasty and cost effective. Working closely with DWC’s Kitchen Team in the heart of our Day Center, this position is responsible for planning, coordinating, preparing, serving meals, and offers support in planning menus and preparing food/snacks for meetings and events at DWC. The On-Call Cook assists in securing and tracking the resources of the meals program, including inventory, ingredients and kitchen supplies. This position reports directly to the Kitchen Manager, and works side-by-side with the Part-time Cook, volunteers and DWC peer leaders.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Assist in meal design, planning, preparation and service of breakfast, lunch and afternoon meal for approximately 200+ women daily; prioritize nutrition as the foundation for the meals program
- Assist with food pick-up from local food bank and other donation sources
- Schedule, supervise, train and mentor program participants, interns and volunteers (individuals and groups) in activities, including planning, preparing and cooking meals. Maintain adequate coverage of kitchen and activities
- Train individuals assisting in the kitchen on food and kitchen safety regulations, enforce expectations as necessary and ensure that food storage areas are in compliance with current Health Department standards
- Assure proper care and maintenance of all food service equipment; identify equipment needs for food preparation and service and assist in purchasing as needed within budget constraints
- Help develop and maintain relationships with local service providers, food vendors, donors and other stakeholders
- Provide crisis intervention, conflict resolution and mediation as necessary
- Collaborate with other staff to meet the goals of the Day Center Program and the organization as a whole
- Assist with ongoing data collection, keep detailed records, and complete monthly written reports; additional reports as assigned
- Other duties as assigned to support the mission of the organization
THIS COULD BE A GOOD MATCH IF YOU HAVE...
- Course work and training in culinary arts, nutrition, and/or dietetics preferred
- 1+ years experience working on a kitchen team, experience cooking high-volume or for large orders preferred
- Experience cooking nutritious, well-balanced meals and providing exemplary customer service
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills and ability to lead a diverse group of individuals
- Ability to exercise and model good judgment, problem-solve, and manage a time schedule
- Able to: climb ladders, stand, bend and/or walk for an extended period of time, and lift up to 55 pounds on a regular basis without physical limitations required
- Manual dexterity sufficient to: use kitchen utensils and equipment, wash dishes, and perform cleaning responsibilities
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, able to manage multiple tasks and priorities, and meet goals/deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) required
- ServSafe Certification preferred
- Current valid California state driver’s license, insurance, and vehicle with good driving record
- Knowledge of the complexity of poverty and women’s homelessness, including mental illness, needs of older adults and the impact on individual and community health a plus
- Oral and written fluency in Spanish and English a plus
SCHEDULE & SALARY:
This is an on-call, as needed position, with the potential to become a temporary role. Ability to work daytime hours is required with flexibility to work different shifts and holidays when necessary. Compensation: $15.00/hour.
Submit cover letter and resume to Resume[AT]downtownwomenscenter[DOT]org. Please include “Cook” in the subject line of your email. DWC is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or medical condition.