Create a safe and welcoming environment and directly provide services that meet the immediate needs of over 200 women each day!
DWC is seeking a highly personable, compassionate, and team-oriented person to provide direct service provision and kitchen support for our drop-in Day Center program. The Day Center is staffed seven days per week (Mon-Fri 6am-4pm & Sat-Sun 7am-3pm) to provide supportive services to homeless and low-income women in the community. This position will be responsible for the management of the Day Center during open business hours, including coordination of services and activities, crisis intervention, identifying program needs for volunteers, meal prep and execution, and donation management. The Day Center Manager will work closely with participants, volunteers and staff to provide services and build community. This position reports directly to the Day Center Services Coordinator.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Help coordinate daily Day Center operations, including opening and closing procedures, clean up, implementation and oversight of activities
- Provide direct services to 200+ participants daily, including managing sign-ups for showers, case management and laundry and providing referrals, hygiene products, clothing and food
- Ensure a safe and welcoming environment: greet guests and visitors, respond to requests, address complaints, intervene in and de-escalate situations, provide support to staff, problem-solve issues in a timely manner, provide crisis intervention when needed and follow Center guidelines to maintain structure and safety for participants
- Assist with meal preparation and service of three meals daily to 100+ women per meal
- Ensure in-kind donations are received, stored, and organized following organizational policy; distribute resources directly to participants as appropriate
- Supervise, train and mentor participant leaders, interns and volunteers in the provision of services; identify and assign projects and tasks where volunteers and interns can be utilized
- Assist with Day Center tracking and data entry as needed
- Respond to phone calls and emails regarding coverage in a timely manner
- Other duties as assigned to support the mission of the organization
THIS COULD BE A GOOD MATCH IF YOU HAVE...
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Direct service experience with disadvantaged populations and/or history of employment in customer service required; Experience in a multi-service nonprofit is a plus
- Knowledge of issues related to women’s poverty, homelessness, mental illness, trauma, substance abuse, health issues, and older adults preferred
- Excellent customer service and strong interpersonal skills; ability to engage a diverse group of participants and volunteers
- Experience supervising and/or training staff or volunteers is a plus
- Ability to exercise and model good judgment, especially in crisis situations; crisis intervention skills are a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Strong written and oral communication skills required
- Current valid California driver’s license, insurance, and vehicle with good driving record
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, able to manage multiple tasks and priorities, and set and meet goals and deadlines
- Oral and written fluency in Spanish and English a plus