Help us coordinate and maintain its financial resources to ensure fiscal well-being!
As DWC’s Accounting Associate, you will harness the power of numbers using your technical accounting and analytical skills to derive the greatest benefit from the Center’s assets, which fund programs that break the cycle of homelessness. The successful candidate is flexible and has a keen eye for detail, is accurate, consistent, and has previous experience in the QuickBooks accounting software, as well as a solid understanding of accounting principles. Working closely with the Chief Financial Officer and Chief Operating Officer, this position interfaces with every department of DWC and is an integral part of our operations.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Understand a complex chart of accounts and cost center matrix; apply allocations between cost centers
- Process accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Monitor daily cash flow
- Assemble documents and review system information in processing employee expense reports, vendor invoices for payments, and residents rent payment
- Check figures, postings and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports, including month-end close-out
- Reconcile and enter credit card transactions; reconcile revenue coding with donor database; review the general ledger to verify accuracy; and update other balance sheet schedules as needed
- Assist with the annual audit and preparation of tax filings
- Assist with accounting and cash needs of nonprofit-run retail business
- Maintain petty cash and gift cards
- Work with CFO to ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local legal and donor requirements
- Other tasks as assigned
THIS COULD BE A GOOD MATCH IF YOU HAVE...
- Minimum of a High School Diploma is required with an Associates’ Degree in accounting or related financial discipline being a plus
- 3-5 years of relevant experience needed; nonprofit accounting experience preferred
- The ability to apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Understanding of Form 990 and other federal and state tax requirements
- Previous experience with computer applications, such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and any other related accounting software
- Knowledge of accrual basis accounting and basic accounting debits and credits
- Knowledge of private foundations and government grants preferred
- Experience using QuickBooks (or a similar accounting software) required
- 10-key data entry
- Close attention to detail and are highly organized; good analytical skills
- Skill in communicating technical and financial information to management and other staff
- Ability to work independently and manage one’s time
- A strong work ethic and professional attitude: service-oriented, friendly, positive approach
SCHEDULE & SALARY
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position eligible for DWC’s comprehensive benefits package that includes training, paid time off, medical, vision, dental, parking, and transportation benefits. DWC is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email cover letter, resume and salary history to HR[AT]downtownwomenscenter[DOT]org. Please include "Accounting Associate" in the subject line of your email.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or medical condition.